MULTI-DAY FULL WILDERNESS EXPEDITIONS AMONG SNOW AND ICE
What to Expect?
SNOW MOBILES, NORTHERN LIGHTS, BREATHTAKING VIEWS IN THE LAND OF SNOW AND ICE
The winter season in Kiruna is like an adventure park for grown-ups and children alike. The snow, ice and vast landscapes of wild nature at its best offers a great deal of fantastic adventures.
The winter season is long: it lasts from November until May. The darkest period of the year— the so-called polar night—starts on the winter solstice on the 21st of December and continues until the 4th of January. During this period, the sun does not rise above the horizon. The coldest time of the winter is as expected, startingin January and lasting through February. The days get longer and warmer slowly, from mid- and late March through the end of April. Sometimes you can ice fish in the sunshine, wearing just a T-shirt.
For the ultimate winter adventure, we recommend that guests visit Kiruna for 5-7 days. In that period of time, there’s time to do remote trips overnight during the days with the best weather. There’s also a good chance you’ll experience the northern lights during the evenings and nights, when the sky is clear. The lights are truly magical to experience in the wild,where there is no light pollution the vast wilderness of Kiruna, you can experience being in the the wild without meeting another soul for days or weeks.
WINTER EXPEDITION VIDEO
Have a look on what we do on our exciting winter expeditions. Options for activities include e.g. ice fishing, wilderness sauna including ice swimming, wilderness skiing, snowshoe walking and northern lights watching. Weather conditions such as clouds, snow, wind and temperature also effects what activities are suitable. Guides take care of preparing authentic arctic food often on the open fire.
ITINERARY AND BOOKING
ITINERARY FOR PRIVATE WINTER EXPEDITION
– Suitable for groups between 2 to 6 persons
– Pick-up at hotel, airport or city centre in Kiruna; take-off from Kurravaara with snowmobiles
– All transports handled by professional guides – normally one guest passenger per snowmobile in the wilderness.
– We use heated tents of high quality that are spacious with camping beds
– Full-service in the wilderness provided, including all meals, coffee and tea. No alcohol is included.
– Activities in the wilderness is decided on beforehand together with the group – we provide equipment for e.g. ice fishing, snow shoeing, skiing, but it needs to be agreed on beforehand.
– Guests must bring warm personal clothing, sun glasses, toiletries and own sleeping bag. Overalls and sleeping bags can be provided to the guests, but needs to be agreed on beforehand.
– Bring swimming suit / pants for wilderness sauna and ice swimming
– Know that all off-road transports are done with snowmobiles.
– Shuttle transport back to Kiruna hotel, airport of city centre
– As an option, we can have a professional photographer join the group and create eternal memories of your fishing experience.
– Snowmobiles renting alternatives available.